Sean Smith wrote:

History marches ever onward, Martyn. While I don't expect her to start a movement to change local standard pitch I see no reason not set G or A at whatever necessary to ensure the success of her concert. Loosening the tyranny of a standard pitch is well within our rights of historical practice. If I wrongly used your message as a springboard to state this then please accept my apologies for any ruffling of a plectrum feather.

Sean

On Feb 14, 2009, at 4:23 AM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

   Oh dear! - I took it as read that the reference to local pitch and
national preferences did not require the pedantic adjective 'historic'
   as in "historic local pitch.........".

   MH
   --- On Sat, 14/2/09, Sean Smith <lutesm...@mac.com> wrote:

     From: Sean Smith <lutesm...@mac.com>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Transposed Dowland songs - ruminations on lute
     sizes around 1600
     To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Saturday, 14 February, 2009, 10:33 AM

Clearly all this is subject to considerations of local pitch standards
   and national preferences.......................

There you go. Proclaim A to be 392 (or 377) for the south eastern seaboard of the US and treat yourself to the nice new larger lute you so royally deserve.
The Pavins sound lovely down a bit.

Alternately you can put a few thicker strings on your current ax and get a new
sound out of it.

Sean

it's just (not) cricket!!