On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Mark Wheeler wrote:

> To be fair to Martyn, he is merely using one of the fundamentals of
> historical lute stringing, the highest string is tuned to the
> highest pitch
> that is possible with the thinnest useable string.
> This is what they did back then, before modern stringing
> possibilities.

I'm very leery of "they" and "then," seeing as we're talking about
thousands of players and instruments over a period of 150 years or so.

Does some historical source say both "highest pitch possible" and
"thinnest useable string" in discussing theorbos?  And if so, is
there any reason to believe that every theorbist subscribed to it?