The degree of twist is decisive, when all the rest is equal for a given gut
(treatment, animal of origin, etc) for the breaking strength. I would hazard
that .44 is made with the same twist by the same maker as .42. Which means if
your instrument can take it, it will substitute for .42 just fine. .44 will be
equally strong. The need to change the twist degree arrives at other diameter
ranges, it appears.
Interestingly enough, the working string length of historical instruments,
drops slightly in relation to the mathematical formula, which means that, as
Mimmo pointed out, the string twist was higher for the longer instruments.

alexander