Stuart, you can find advice at Aquila FAQ; but I will copy the relevant texts.
Anthony

http://www.aquilacorde.com/faqi.htm

FAQ Aquila

26) What is Nylgut and why is it white?

"In theory a gut string and a Nylgut one should have the same diameter.

But since nylgut is quite 'stretchy' we advise using a slightly thicker diameter.

Pull carefully but resolutely and repeatedly the string with your fingers while tuning it for the first time (see faq 31).

Concerning the 'cutting effect' follow the suggestions given for gut strings at faq 20. "

(I suppose the diameter should be chosen as for Venice, which is also stretchy:

"Because of its nature a Venice string stretches noticeably more than a regular high twist string, which leads, under equal stress, to a somewhat thinner diameter.

Hence the necessity to use a thicker starting diameter: under working stress it will settle to a diameter similar to that of a regular string's and will eventually lead to the same working tension.

In practice the correct diameter of an equivalent Venice string is obtained by multiplying the plain high twist string diameter by 1.07. ")

31) What should I do when I put a new string on?

Once checked that all points of contact are smooth and free from sharp edges, when tuning a string for the first time, pull it with your fingers until it stays in tune: moderately the trebles and wound strings but with a bit more energy the thicker ones.

This applies to both gut and synthetic strings, especially to Nylgut:

AH