1.In general terms, a single string will be stiffer than any one
string out of a pair- but not doubling the tension- just keeping a
sense of balance- in terms of feel, tone color, and volume. I have
only one instrument where I can use either single or double 1st
course, my vihuela. It's a bit hefty instrument (Chambure copy,
Harris & Barber) so my tensions may be a little higher than ideal for
equivalent lute. Anyway, my doubled 1st is  .42 mm gut, on 64.5 cm
string length, tuned to nominal "g", with A=400, approx. tension
about 3.5 kg.

For a single-string 1st I have used from .44 mm to .46 mm, which can
get up to about 4 kg. with my set up. Possibly a little too high
tension for average tenor or alto Renaissance lute.

2. to convert an octave course to unison, I merely replace the octave
string with a second fundamental to match the one already there, no
tension/tone color issues with my instruments & strings. Either a
unison works or it does not- esp. the 6th course. Or if it's
appropriate to the type of music/instrument/time period for 4th & 5th
courses; since thick bass string inharmonicity is never an issue for
these two courses on any of my instruments; anyway I have only one 6
course tenor lute dedicated to late 15th - early 16th century
repertoire.

3.For converting bass courses to single strings, I don't know quite
what you want- converting a double-strung theorbo to singles? -that
one is out of my league. After the toy theorbo wars I'm sure some
veteran can advise.

Dan