It really seems that the crook ends with the reed. I know that you exclued the basoon, but can we be sure if the rest of the instrument is not visible? Please have a look at Andrew Watts's early basoon: http://www.earlymusica.permutation.com/about_Andrew_Watts.htm .Here the crook looks longer, however on the picture we see it at the angle, thus looking shorter. They were in use as early as 1650. The shawm doesn't seem to fit the whole set of these instruments. But I don't insist. Just a thought :-)
Jaroslaw

----- Original Message ----- From: <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:42 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Laurent de La Hyre

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009, David Tayler <vidan...@sbcglobal.net> said:

The bocal is flared slightly at the end, so it
could hold a reed, but it looks more like a bass recorder.

A labium on the front of the instrument would tell us for certain, but
this is obscured. by the music.  I would expect Bass and quart bass
recorders to use chanelling rather than a crook, too easy to lose a crook,
and you already need a seperate piece to cover the block and form the
windway.  The crook is more natural to a shalm, and the very large head
coupled to an alto/tenorish length puts me in mind of a shalm.

The bass and the two smaller ones form a continuo
group that was popular in France--a sort of
portable organ.

yes, but is that music in that genre?  The smaller recorders could just as
easily be pitch pipes, quiet things for practice, or something left by an
absent playing partner.

If it is a recorder, the windway is to the back, but that is not unusual.

for larger recorders it is the norm, only on small instruments can one
bring the lips to a beak while fingering the tone holes.

--
Dana Emery