What precise parts of Mace's work do you find not 'reliable'.

(Descartes last words here)
dt

 "Don't walk away, René..."

Storing lutes in beds. Smashed more theorbi than the airlines.

Daniel
Actually this point goes very well together with the observations he makes on the rotten strings. It seems he must have had a very damp environment (except in bed), and so preferred to break his lute by bedding it between the sheets, rather than letting it rot. I only wonder why he didn't strore the strings with it.

Arthur Ness, said the following: "The most popular instrument in colonial Boston was the cittern. More popular than the flute or harpsichord. These figures are derived from tax reports. Household possessions were inventoried and taxed.

In any event, these reports often state that the cittern was stored with the linens! Now I understand why. In those days Boston was surrounded by water, and the humidity is even today horrendous in the summer. (The "Back Bay" was filled in during the 19th century, and several hills were leveled to provide the land fill.)" AN
Regards
Anthony