Hi Laurence,

I just finished cutting two roses, and I would pretty much agree with with Richard says. I use carpenter's glue to adhere the pattern to the underside of the soundboard (although I think next time I'll try hide glue), and I thin the area of the rose to about 1 mm. You can do that with a scraper or simply hold a random orbital sander (gently and carefully) on the underside of the rose area to let it be thinned down. Stop frequently to check thickness. I use a thickness sander to thickness my soundboards, and I have a carrier for it that is built up in the area of the rose. It automatically causes the rose area to be sanded thinner. Since the wood of the rose has no acoustic function, (other than the Helmholtz effect), you can thin it down without affecting the sound of the instrument.

Like Richard I use a scalpel with a narrow triangular blade (a number 0434--I don't know if that is the same in the Netherlands). I find the scalpel blades to be sharper than Xacto blades, and unlike Richard I've never felt the need to regrind the back edge of the blade. But he probably does better roses than me. Scalpels aren't intended for cutting wood, so you should always, always, always wear eye protection. The blades are harder steel than Xacto blades and thus more brittle, and they can snap and fly off if you bend or twist them while cutting. I wear an Optivisor, which is a flip-down binocular magnifier, which I find helps my middle-aged eyes a lot and provides protection. Since I glue the pattern permanently to the underside (which I guess is Renaissance practice), I cut in a couple of passes. The first slices through the paper and defines the line. The second slice goes into the wood. Sometimes if it's a tricky curve, I make several shallow passes.

Another trick is to keep a block of paraffin handy while you're cutting. If you feel the blade dragging as you cut, slice the scalpel gently into the paraffin to lubricate the blade. All you need is a bit of residue on the cutting edge. Also, scalpel handles are flat and much thinner than Xacto knife handles, and can give your hand cramps while you're working. I cut a dowel in half lengthwise and taped the halves to either side of the scalpel handle to give me a heftier handle. Just wind the tape down around the handle to hold the dowel halves in place. I also find that I do best if I take rose- cutting in short sessions of about 20 minutes. It's pretty intense concentration, and it helps to step away now and then to relax. It's supposed to be fun, remember? If you push yourself to get it done quickly, you're more likely to make a mistake.

After cutting the pattern from the back, I put a light coat of Qualasole on the rose on the top side before cleaning up the pattern from the top. That keep the wood from fuzzing and gives a cleaner result. After the lute is assembled and before I varnish the back, I also put a light coat of Qualasole on the rest of the soundboard before waxing it. It keeps the wood from absorbing oils from your hand while playing, and it evens the color of rose and soundboard.

I have not used David van Edwards's course, but I have heard many excellent things about it. I'm sure he gives thorough instructions on cutting the rose. You can also find good instructions in Robert Lundberg's book, Historical Lute Construction, and there is an excellent article by Ervin Somogyi in the Winter 2004 issue of American Lutherie.

I have used European spruce, Adirondack red spruce, and Englemann spruce for lute soundboards. Both the European spruce and the Adirondack red spruce are somewhat harder than Englemann and a bit more difficult to cut roses into. In the US, good-quality Englemann spruce is far cheaper. Luthiers Mercantile (www.lmii.com) sells Englemann lute soundboards for about 15 dollars American. At that price, if you are planning to use a more expensive spruce for your lute, I would buy an Englemann soundboard and practice. Or you could just make your first lute with Englemann and save the more expensive spruce for another time.

It also matters what rose pattern you use. The basic Star of David pattern used in the Gerle lute is mostly straight lines, and would be an easier pattern to try first. And remember that not every lute in the 16th century was a masterpiece. If you look at the illustrations in Lundberg's book, you can see that some of the roses on historical lutes were pretty sloppy. So relax. If it isn't cut to machine-like perfection, it's more historically correct ;-)

Tim Motz