Dear Simon,

The first half of the Ortiz book describes how to work w/ adding more notes to a simple line so you may have everything you need there. As the lutenist you can add more chords to strengthen the rhythm as you like.

A good source for seeing how to break up those chords and add a few bass walks would be the Bassus book of the Pacaloni trios. In there you'll find many of the same 'grounds' (Romanesca, Antico, Moderno, etc). You may need to do a little transposing and you can take out or add passing tones when you and your soloists decide on a tempo.

Another source is the treble/ground English repertory.

Continuo is an iffy word to use here since the long-necked lute (or what we'd generally think of as a continuo lute) was non-existant. You should be able to get a very nice sound from the instruments of the day: Gamba, lutes of various sizes, ren guitar, cittern and keyboard. The recercatas shine more from rhythmic drive than an anchoring bass. If you do go w/ a "continuo" lute be careful of the long ringing low strings muddying up the low registers.

best wishes,
Sean