Not the PVA. If applied on top, it produces a rubbery film which does not quite
work under the fingers, and wears on the bends and probably meeting the frets.
You could experiment with it, of course, but my feeling is that it does not
really work. I find a comment in my database "sound... plasticky?but strong",
and do recall it affecting the sound very negatively.
Plus, a very important point, glues applied to silk while twisting, have to be
at least warm, or better hot. Cold glues create more unevenness in the way
filaments align. PVA falls apart under the heat.

On point 2. Every silk dyer i spoke with, insists that you have to degum silk
freshly before making it take salts or dyes. So did the fly-fishing silk line
makers, who basically varnish the silk. My experiments with already degummed
silks were less encouraging then degum-your-own. However! As you well know,
there are always other ways to which one person can be blind, and another -
not.
The difficulty with already degummed silks is this: there is no way to spool
degummed filament. Raw silk filament of 20/22 Denier has 12 actual original
filaments made by a worm. They are called continuous filament, and to all
purpose there are most of the time really 12 filaments there, but sometimes
less, sometimes more. The reeling machine grabs filaments as needed and adds
them to the whole. The filament of 12 is held together by the sericin, a hot
water soluable glue, that the worm creates. Once you remove this glue (and you
have to, as no salt or anything else will get combined with fibroin through
sericin), all the loose filaments have nothing to hold them together. It can be
quite a mess, if the filaments dry out, or (as mentioned) caught on skin and
such. For this reason any degummed filament is twisted into a tiny cord usually
of 2, or 3. This particular store does not seem to sell continuous filament
degummed. Very few do, as it is very difficult to make. If they do, it will be
quite thick to begin with, about 100 denier or such. Such a cord will be
difficult to shape into a smooth string.
Spun silk thread is softer and more pliable, but all sorts of glues and oils
and sometimes salts and other chemicals are used in production, and i had spun
silk that no glue wanted to stick to, even the PVA! If you find a relatively
clean spun silk thread, you might be able to load it with cinnabar, or such.
I hope this answers. alexander