I'd go for strix aluco, allowing for local dialect and of course the development of language over time ;-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Durbrow" <edurb...@sea.plala.or.jp>
To: "LuteNet list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:40 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Shakespeare interpretation

On Apr 2, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Tony Chalkley wrote:

Owls do generally say "tu-whit tu-whu", the roads/paths (ways) will
be muddy, puddly and no doubt icy and difficult to use, hence
"foul", and I'm sure you're right for nipp'd.

Believe it or not. I went to an owl web site and listened to many
owls. Hardly any came close to my stereotyped image of what an owl
should sound like.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
edurb...@sea.plala.or.jp