On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:32 AM,  <chriswi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Thu, 4/16/09, David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And think of how the French revolution
>> killed it,
>> among other things, by spreading liberté, égalité and
>> fraternité.
>>

> Certainly not.  Unwritten unequal rhythms (and all sorts of other time
> liberties) were alive and well throughout the 19th

Disclaimer! (Before we start a whole thread on something I never intended.)
I thought the pun was clear enough to see, but true enough, you cannot
see my face when I'm typing. I should have added a ;-). ;-)

The unequal performance of equally notated notes has been a feature of
music throughout the baroque, and before as well as after, in many
national styles, not just in France. That this practice is today often
referred to with the French label of inégalité, and therefore presumed
to be an exclusively French baroque thing, has more to do with the
fact that the French baroque people loved to write about it more
extensively than for example the Italians. Modern musicians, with
their love for classifying, making tables, pigeon holing and the like,
have taken up these French sources with a relish. At my conservatory
we had a subject called 'historical documentation', that could easily
turn into hysterical documentation with a distorted view of the past
if only the readily available sources where used. An absence of
sources does not mean an absence of practice. If  we look a little
closer we can find more evidence.

Anyway, the revolutionaries weren't able to kill all the nobility either. ;-)

David