On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM,  <angevin...@att.net> wrote:
>    Can any one comment on what is in this manuscript?

Freely summarized from my copy of RISM B VII:

MS Thysius 1666

French tab. 7 lines
About 1595-1620, possible additions till 1645
521 folios, including empty pages
31x20cm
music for 5 to 7-course lute, mostly 7-course
a few pieces for 2 to 4 lutes (parts and score, all in tab)
songs
exercises
free instrumental pieces, dances, French chansons, Italian madrigals,
German lieder, Latin motets, English incipits

Looks to me like any Dutch/Flemish lute book of that period.

Thysius MS has a bad name in Holland as it is supposed to contain
inferior music. I haven't seen it, just looked at a study published in
1889, called 'Het Luitboek van Thysius', by J.P.N. Land, of which I
took some pieces I used in a concert once or twice. There are also
some pieces in modern editions, psalm settings for solo lute if I
recall correctly. Wayne's pages had (still has?) something from the
Thysius too. I'm happy the MS has become easily available at last, as
it is an important source of 17th century sources of Dutch lute music,
if only for its size. The microfilm was a bit of a bother: so many
pages!

David