Is it possible some of these left-handed designs derive from [a] the
artist knowing nothing of the lute, and working from their imagination

In relation to the "Dutch theorbo painting online", the painting does appear to carefully represent the broken strings, and I would be very surprised if the painter had gone to all that trouble, just to represent in detail the defects of the 'stage props', although I agree with Kenneth Spar that a great deal of caution is needed when attempting to interpret such symbolism, in the context of the period. In the same way, the luthenist model could just by chance have been left-handed, and the artist, as you suggest, knowing nothing about lutes, could have carefully represented this; but here again, I imagine this could also be the result of a deliberate choice by the painter, and part of the intended symbolism. The artist may have deliberately chosen a left-handed model, who would hold the lute the wrong way up.

If you look on the covers of Lute News issues 63 and 64 you'll see two
   Dutch tile designs showing left handed players.

    [b] the use of camera obscura in painting, resulting in a reversed
   image?

Could tiles have sometimes been made by a printing technique that inversed the image, or if not, have been copied from an engraving process that does do this (negative to positive)?

In respect to this question, there was a similar topic raised, a year or so ago, about the inverted 12c lute in the well known engraving of Jacques Gautier. The problem being that while the lute is possibly inversed, the text below is not.

David Van Edwards obviously considered that this image was inversed, so he corrected this on his site, as we can see when comparing this to the original with that of the RA:
Compare :
D.V.E.
http://tinyurl.com/yt8ovw
the RA
http://tinyurl.com/yvfn5z

The reason for inversing such an image could be, as Roman Turovsky suggested, the engraver taking a short-cut, and etching a positive (rather than a negative) which results in a final reversed image. On the other hand, it is also possible that the engraver found the inversed image with Jacques placed at the left looking to the right somehow more powerful, or more in keeping with the myth of Orpheos . He may not have cared about the inversed lute.

In the case of a painting, as you have suggested, an inversed image could be the result of using a camera obscura; One quite famous example of a partially inverted image, is this rendering of Criccieth Castle, by Turner. He was known to have used camera obscura, but why did he only inverse the Castle, and not the scenery?
http://tinyurl.com/2aj2j9
Compare with my own photo taken towards Criccieth Castle at sunset:
http://tinyurl.com/2bf8fa

It is generally considered that, by inversing the castle, Turner
increases the feeling of the wildness of the sea, against which the
castle is now facing.
This does not preclude the possibility that he used a camera obscura for this part of the image.

It is true that too much can be read into a painting or engraving, which could be the result of some accidental cause; on the other hand, it may be that we are missing the painter's intentions, because at present we lack the key to understand it.
Anthony

If you look on the covers of Lute News issues 63 and 64 you'll see two
   Dutch tile designs showing left handed players.

Is it possible some of these left-handed designs derive from [a] the artist knowing nothing of the lute, and working from their imagination
   [b] the use of camera obscura in painting, resulting in a reversed
   image?

   best wishes
   Chris Goodwin