hi all,

a friend of mine send this festival-information to me:
http://www.tff-rudolstadt.de/english/e_htm/e_09/magic.htm

this years special: lutes

"Chordophones, string instruments, are usually divided in two categories: bowed
and plucked instruments. The best known bowed chordophone is the violin; the
family of lutes belongs to the plucked chordophones. Att TFF09, we deal with
the sub-family of short-neck lutes, i.e. those instruments whose neck is
decidedly shorter than the body. The best known representative in Europe is the
(medieval) lute which – as its relatives in China (pi’pa), Japan (biwa), Greece
(laouto) or Hungary (mandora) – is most likely a progeny of the Arabian ‘ud
whereas the baroque mandoline was developed later as a bastard between a
classical lute of the Baroque period and the Neapolitan mandoline of the time.
The Swedish mandora is a bass lute developed in the 1990s.

The majority of these instruments share the same features: double strings,
vaulted body, and a pegbox at right angle to the neck. They ask for virtuoso
playing, and the visitors of TFF09 will get this from

Géza Fábri (HUN), kobza
Daniel Fredriksson (SWE), mandora
Katsia Prakopchyk (BLR), baroque mandoline
Adel Salameh (PAL), ’ud
Dimitris Varelopoulos (GRE), laouto
Zhong YuFeng (TWN), pi’pa, moon guitar

special guests