On Jun 16, 2009, at 5:42 AM, theoj89...@aol.com wrote:

> Given the popularity of renaissance compositions for lute and
> voice, I am surprised that I have not seen a single baroque lute
> song (of course, i'm not a musicologist and may not be looking in
> the right places)

You're not looking in the right places.  There are a few songs with
tablature in d minor tuning.  The ones I'm thinking of are mostly
German chorale settings.

> what changed so that the baroque lute was not popularly used to
> accompany voice?

Nothing.  What skews your observation is the change in notation.
Publishers notated accompaniments in continuo instead of tablature.
Basic continuo on the lute is not hard to learn, and there is
considerable evidence that lute players learned it.

Tablature had two commercial disadvantages.  First, it made the music
unattractive to keyboard players.  Second, tablature in renaissance
tuning made the music unattractive to lute players who strung their
instruments in d minor tuning, or in one of the tunings we now call
"transitional."

Exhibit A in this story is Constantijn Huygens' Pathodia sacra et
profana occupati, a book of songs the Dutch composer wrote with
tablature accompaniments and sent to Ballard in Paris in 1646 (Willem
Mook, who has studied Huygens at some length, believes his instrument
was a 12-course in renaissance tuning, but the tablature parts to
Pathodia sacra are lost).  Ballard's editor wrote to Huygens to say
that Ballard wanted “all the basses to be continuo and that none of
them should be in tablature,” and to ask that Huygens send continuo
parts, which is how the book was published in 1647.