Hello!

   Paul Beier's string calculator gives at the bottom of the screen the
   total string tension at the bridge. Can anyone tell me whether there is
   a single maximum tension beyond which one cannot safely go, or does it
   differ for each instrument depending on a set of variables, such as
   soundboard thickness, type of bracing, kind of glue used on the bridge,
   etc.?

   I once had a bridge pull off, tearing a hole in the soundboard (perhaps
   because the luthier used a new kind of glue), and I am not interested
   in repeating the experience.

   Many thanks for any information anyone can give me.

   Best regards,

   Stephen Arndt