I may be looked on as wrong here, but here is something that might help you get things sorted out in your head. Use the thumb and index finger in almost the same way you would use a pick if you were playing a guitar with a plectrum. The strong beat is played with a down stroke on the thumb and the weak return with an upstroke with the index finger. The real trick here is to make sure you do not rotate your wrist but keep it parallel to the strings. As soon as you start rotating you are going to miss notes miss a string in a course and or pull up on the course causing it to rattle against the finger board.

The tendency for some is to play the base notes with the thumb only which makes for some real problems when some of the passages call for rapid notes in those registers; something difficult to do with the thumb only and not sound thunky. I have found that a lot of Milano requires this technique---for me. As to the Earl of Essex, there are some tricky parts in this piece that require a good deal of right hand fudging. It is one of those cross-over pieces where things seem to be evolving between strict thumb index attack and fingered passages more like guitar technique. A lot of Dowland seems to work this way. ----- Original Message ----- From: <nedma...@aol.com>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:18 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Right hand fingerings in Dowland

  As I work on The Right Honorable Robert, Earl of Essex, His Galliard
  (42a. in Diana Poulton's edition of Dowland's works) - and watch some
  players on youtube - it occurs to me that not only do I have to work on
  thumb-under technique, but also to rethink the use of fingers in
  playing passages that I used to use the thumb in quite a bit.  The
  question I have is, how much do we know about Dowland's right
  hand technique, and how much do we just try to arrive at something that
  works?  For example, in the fourth measure of the second section of the
  Earl of Essex Galliard, are all the notes on the third string and up
  covered by the fingers or would the thumb play a part?  And in the
  final section, four and three measures from the end, how active would
  the thumb be, or is it mostly finger work?

  Are there editions of Dowland's music where fingerings are more
  extensively notated?  (I notice in the same Poulton edition in "96. An
  Almand",  right hand fingerings are much more in evidence - as are
  ornaments).

  Ned

  Looking for love this summer? [1]Find it now on AOL Personals.