Yes, nice book, I like very much the Playford pieces, and the arrangement upon The Three Ravens (I recorded it on YT... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5yp7jFL0c with a few others)
Val

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh"

I've just spent a few days away and wanted to take a small instrument which was not too precious. I've just got "108 pieces pour renaissance guitare" arranged by Pascale Boquet (Vol 18 of Le Secret des Muses) published by the French Lute Society. I haven't got a four-course guitar.

I tried a uke (well a cavaquinho) - 33cms string length, and what feels like a very wide string spacing and a little 6-string guitar (half size?) with a string length of 47.5 cms and, even ignoring the lower two strings and widening the spaces a bit between the top four strings, still is very closely spaced.

I find the little 6-string guitar, much more satisfactory than the uke/cavaquinho - which is just too small. I'd go for a baritone uke or a half-size guitar (I got mine in an auction for £5 but they are really cheap anyway). I hired the Lute Society's good-quality Renaissance guitar recently and I realise that modern ukes/guitars are very different - but still well worth a go.

It was fun looking at the Boquet arrangements (including some originals from Phalese). The pieces are arranged according to country of origin, beginning with France and ending with 'Angleterre' (which includes O'Neill arrangements!). Some of the arrangements (including many familiar pieces) work better than others but it's a delightful book and must have taken a lot of work.

Stuart