The German Lute Socity published some pamplets and books of music
including "Goethe's Lieder zur Laute" around the turn of the century
(the previous turn).
I used to play these for fun. I don't know how far back the society
goes, but it was active. You can see pictures of people playing real
lutes in the Leipzig Collegium from the late 19th century.
dt