Daniel Shoskes wrote:
   I'm surprised at the lack of usual post LSA chatter. Any list members
   attend? Any photos, videos, sound clips?

I was there :)

The weather was HOT - record high temperatures for Vancouver. Fortunately they recently upgraded the air conditioning in the UBC music building (which had been pretty poor ever since they built it) so it was fairly comfortable indoors. There were 28 participants from all over the continent, plus faculty. It was a pleasure to meet again those I had met two years ago, and to make many new acquaintances. And we got to see Bill Eisele's amazing lute case case.

Jacob Heringman's opening concert on Sunday evening was a delight - but then I admit to being rather partial to the music of Francesco da Milano. He played standing up which allowed him to move to keep his music in ront of him when he had multiple pages open.

Nigel North's Tuesday evening concert was also excellent, of course.

I attended three classes: Nigel North's "English Lute Music 1580-1620," Jacob Heringman's "Playing Counterpoint," and Jacob Heringman's Master Class. All of the classes tended to evolve into master-class format. And I had lessons with Pat O'Brien and Jacob Heringman.

Nigel's class covered sources of music, with some emphasis on contemporary instructional materials, pointing out some details that usually seem to get overlooked; musical forms and styles; and divisions and graces.

Jacob's Counterpoint class talked about transcribing into staff notation to analyze the voice leading and techniques for making the voices clear, especially being careful to sustain notes.

Jacob's Master Class covered a wide variety of topics as participants brought forward pieces for comment/ criticism or got advice on dealing with problems with pieces.

There were afternoon "extras:" talks by Dominic Schaner and Ray Nurse; a recital by Dominic (lute) and Amy Schaner (soprano); and a student recital (which was kept short so that everyone could get to the pub before it closed).

I had to miss Bob Barto's concert on Friday evening so that I could get up EARLY on Saturday morning to catch a ferry.

All told it was a very productive week for me with lots going on, but not too much. I didn't manage to take very many pictures because i was busy trying to store up enough information to keep me going for two years till the next Vancouver LSA Seminar.(I know that Caroline Usher was wandering around taking pictures of all that was going on.) I've posted a few here:

http://www3.telus.net/sfryer/LSA%20Vancouver%202009.html

Stephen Fryer