Hi Omer,

Surely Ed will appreciate that you've taken the time to say a word on his work.

I'm of the opinion of defending our musical ideas making music rather than with words, so I won't say much here...

About Milán:

He doesn't say anything on repeating or not, but he is definitively flexible about many other things all over his book, so I don't see a reason for not repeating. Hoppy Smith does it, for instances even only with one part of the piece, and it can be an interesting effect (in case you do have something to say, of course).

As for the fantasia as a story, let's go back to Milán: "solo procede de la fantasía e industria del autor que la hizo", which means that has no other origin that the author's imagination, and therefore there's no much restrictions about how we can face them today. Not in Milán's book, at least.

We can do pretty much whatever we want with it, and there's no rules for breaking chords, dynamics or anything like that. There's nothing proper or correct... A simple matter of taste, I'm afraid.

Milán gently offered to amateur players some tips on rubato, for example, which should be taken as a "mind opener", rather than a guide to play music in a very specific way (wish my English was better, sorry).

Best,

Ariel.