        Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu im Auftrag von Suzanne and Wayne
        Gesendet: Fr 11.09.2009 04:45
        An: Lute list
        Betreff: [LUTE] Women composers of lute music
        For starters, lets assume Mark meant women composers of lute
     music,
        perhaps either living or historical.  Occasionally, women
     performers
        (of various instruments) will take up the theme of music written
     by
        women.
        For example, at the last major Lute Fest in Cleveland last year,
        Elizabeth C. D. Brown gave a recital on lute and baroque guitar
        titled "Women of Good Courage".  This was music from lute books
        collected/owned by women rather than known to be composed by
     women.
        Here is a summary:
        Part 1: from the Elisabeth von Hessen Lutebook
        3 sets of pieces played on lute, by various male
        composers or publishers, also anon.
        Part 2: Elisabeth-Claude Jacquet de la Guerre
        A suite of dance pieces starting with a prelude, by the
        named woman and arranged by the performer.
        Part 3: from the Princess Anne Manuscript
        2 sets of dance pieces by Anon
        I remember this as a very well done recital.  It seems to me that
        there are fewer examples of known women composers of lute music
        than perhaps is the case with later instruments and styles.  Can
        any one else contribute more historical figures?
        And then there is the matter of living composers of lute music.
        I can't name many of these, although Ronn McFarlane's music is
        going to top my list.  Also Allan Alexander writes some very
        nice stuff that I've liked.  And then I will name myself as a
        composer as well.  It started out as necessity, in writing music
        I could play when I was a beginner and easy music was hard to
        find (that was before so much stuff was on line.)  But now
        I write music for myself and others for the sheer joy of
        creative expression.  Any other living women composers of lute
        music?
        Suzanne
          -------------- Original message from
     <gonzornumpl...@roadrunner.com>:
        --------------
        > Hello Chris,
        > Since you are actively engaged in scholarly pursuits regarding
     the
        lute,have you run into any decomposing lute composers who have
     been
        found to be
        > women?
        > I only have music by Madamoiselle Bocquet.  Are there others
     that you
        can
        > identify?There have got to be others.  Or is it possible that
     women
        were behind all of the music, especially the best pieces, but
     didn't
        get any of the credit for

        [1][1] http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html