I second all the recommendations that Dana made.  First, join the Lute
   Society of Amercia.  Also look for a recorder society or viol society
   in your area.  I attended a local recorder society meeting last weekend
   to see if there might be some mixed ensembles to join.  I had a great
   afternoon playing trios and quartets and met two recorder players who
   meet each week to read music in clefs and early notation. They kindly
   invited me to join them.   I read tenor clef on the cello, and used to
   read alto pretty well on the lute.  It will be great to get experience
   reading these and many of the other clefs on the lute - it opens up a
   vast range of ensemble music.  (For the importance of this, read the
   interview with Paul O'Dette in the last American Lute Society
   Journal).

   Ned