To: <jrphe...@windstream.net>; <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:40 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Newbie needs to know - where buy a lute and what type?

Joe,

I dealt with the same problem - as many of these people here did once. The difference is: My search began just 1 year ago - and a lot of things have changed :-)

First of all I began with that Pakistan lute which is about 400 EUR but not worth anything indeed. ;-)

What I found in the meantime is the following:

Renaissance lute (by Renatus Lechner) for 999 EUR -> www.lautenbau.de (see "Einfache Modelle")

I ordered a 7c. lute last year and will recieve it on friday :-)

And there are many more luthiers that build "student lutes":

www.apizzico.de (1300 EUR)

http://www.renzosalvador.be/en/lutetu.html (1600 EUR)

http://www.zupfinstrumente-emmerich.de (1600 EUR)

This is the situation in Europe...