Hi, all,

   Thanks for the reply, Howard.  The Beethoven stuff was interesting;
   I'll take a look at the archive.

   Actually, thought, what I was trying to get at is this; who was buying
   those hundreds of lutes under construction, or at least with parts
   made/bought, in the death inventories, and how much were they paying
   for them?  Granted, this has little or nothing to do with what's going
   on now, but I'm just curious.

   The part about the Florentine ducats was intended as a joke (and I
   believe Howard took it as such).  Clearly you can't correct an extinct
   currency for inflation in any meaningful way, and I agree a
   cost-of-living comparison would be near-useless, but I think a
   percentage of income comparison would be interesting and fairly easy.
   I can tell you off the top of my head (and without a calculator), for
   example, that the beloved and maligned $5,000 lute of the "cost of a
   lute" thread is just around 20% of my individual annual gross income,
   and just under 9% of my family gross income.  (That's rough, and
   excludes the value of bennies.  There, now you know how much my wife
   and I make!)  I'm currently agonizing over $1800 for a Larry Brown
   6-course (love that Francesco!).

   As it seems, from iconographic evidence and the testimony of all those
   lutes by all those builders, that in the 16th-17th centuries lutes were
   not particularly luxury items (though certainly what we would call
   "discretionary purchases"), I wonder how much were people were willing
   to pay for them.  There must be a fair number of ledger or diary
   entries scattered about.  For the record, I suspect it would come
   pretty close to my figures, if not exceed them.  In an all-hand-work
   economy, people pay more and have fewer possessions, I'd bet.

   Another thing:  IMO, an artist lute builder doesn't have hundreds of
   bellies, worked and unworked, lying around (in Venetian boxes!) when he
   dies, even if he's been sick and not working for awhile.  Sounds like a
   factory to me!

   By the way, Howard; I'm still formulating my well-thought-out response
   to your "pseudo-science" remark.  Talk later.  (Please insert a
   yet-to-be invented emoticon indicating humorous self-deprecation here.)

   Best, and keep playing,

   Chris.
   On Sep 30, 2009, at 2:35 PM, Christopher Stetson wrote:
   > As a percentage of median income, in Florentine ducats
   >    corrected for inflation, whatever?
   Good luck trying.  It's pretty much impossible to correct Florentine
   ducats of 1600 for inflation.  These days we can concoct a cost-of-
   living index with the prices of products and services, but most of
   what we use didn't exist in 1600.  So  your index would consist of
   lots of things for which the relative cost may have moved in opposite
   directions: clothes are cheaper, labor mostly more expensive
   (assuming a developed Western economy) and automobiles and hamburgers
   out of consideration.   Try to figure the relative value of United
   States dollars between 1980 and now using a) the cost of Los Angeles
   real estate and b) the cost of a kilobyte of computer memory, and
   you'll get the picture.
   We had a discussion on this list about this a few years ago, with
   Beethoven and chicken figuring prominently.   You can find some of
   it, though apparently not my brilliant contributions, at:
   [1]http://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.dartmouth.edu/msg01058.html
   Here's one paragraph:
   > A one bedroom spacious apartment in San Francisco similar to
   Beethoven's