It could have been funny once, but with all his "music" basically the same - the joke quickly loses the comedic part, leaving behing nothing but the joke....
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Stetson" <cstet...@smith.edu> To: "David Rastall" <dlu...@verizon.net>; "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@verizon.net>; <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 8:41 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: The reason we play lutes

  Chris,

  Well, we don't really know that the composer is deadly serious, do we?
  Perhaps the fact that we're taking it so seriously is the joke, and
  he's laughing at us.  Maybe the composer is looking for signs of life,
  and laughter was the hoped-for reaction.  I thought it was pretty
  funny.  Perhaps, then, we can all laugh together?

  Have we noticed that almost all of the world finds both lutes and
  polyfoam musically boring and irrelevant, and therefore ignores both?

  (the other) Chris.

  >>> <chriswi...@yahoo.com> 10/5/2009 8:09 AM >>>
  David,
       That's the biggest problem of all with this sort of stuff - dead
  seriousness.  I forced myself to listen to all of this and found that
  there were actually a few interesting moments buried in there between
  vast canyons of superfluousness.   Unfortunately the composer obviously
  took himself so seriously that he seems to believe that we're going to
  be so impressed by his command of erudite compositional techniques that
  we'll feel honored to absorb anything he casts our way - even 7 minutes
  of  noises.  No doubt the composer would be happy to lecture us about
  the mind-boggling array of chance operations, algorithmic constructs or
  complex pre-compositional grids he used to generate the sonic events of
  "Manifest."  Now, don't we feel stupid?
  Chris