On Oct 5, 2009, at 6:07 AM, theoj89...@aol.com wrote:

> Are paintings an accurate representation of its use?

Of course not.  They represent what an artist thought someone would
pay to have.  The artists painted for patrons, not future musicologists.

> Was it primarily a woman's instrument (such as the harp)? Was it
> widely,and primarily used for self accompaniment of the female
> voice - if so, what was played? Was it depicted more as an
> allegorical representation? Despite the atttempts at humor, I am
> honestly curious-

There are all sorts of reasons, I'm sure, but the principal reason is
that theorbos are spectacular-looking things.

Years ago, a group I was with played what might loosely be called a
"concert" because that we thought we would be professionally
videotaped.  Two thirds of the video turned out to consist of panning
around my theorbo with a near-pornographic intensity, ignoring
everything else going on (which included some semi-staged comedy).