Hi Ned,

    You should definitely listen to some new recordings.  One of the things I
find exciting about early music is that new information is constantly coming to
light that makes us re-think the way we approach the music.  Entire genres that
were once dismissed as mere trifles can become compelling gems when approached
from a different perspective.

    You would find more of what I'm talking about on more recent examples.  I'm
not saying that every single EM recording is pure oatmeal.  I'm saying that the
frame of reference for the standard of excellence has shifted from musical
interpretation to technical cleanliness.  Recordings nowadays are expected to
be clean.  Case closed.

    Unfortunately, this exceptional cleanliness is produced via a huge number
of digital edits which will be undetectable and therefore in a sense,
"natural."  The problem with this is that the edits where never conceived of or
performed as an organic whole so that finished product, while smooth, often
lacks life.  Imagine if Martin Luther King Jr. would have recorded his "I have
a dream" speech by reciting it 50 times, re-saying certain problem clauses or
stumbled words, then having some audio engineer piece the various takes (some
perhaps comprising a single syllable) together with 900 edits.  Yes, his voice
as an object might technically sound "better" once the quivers and explosions
were taken out, but would it have the same sense of outrage and urgency?  What
would be the point?

Chris