Fabulous link! Many thanks, and you do a good job.
   --- En date de : Jeu 22.10.09, j...@horseforce.se <j...@horseforce.se> a
   ecrit :

     De: j...@horseforce.se <j...@horseforce.se>
     Objet: [LUTE] 17th century continuo practice evidence
     A: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Jeudi 22 Octobre 2009, 6h27

      The Dueben collection at the Uppsala University Library, Sweden, is
   one
      of
      the largest collections of music from (essentially) the second half
   of
      the 17th century.
      There are about 2300 works in manuscripts, and there are vocal and
      instrumental
      pieces by more than 300 composers.  For most of the works we have
   the
      parts,
      and for some we also have the scores (but in German organ
      tablature...).
      But these manuscripts are what "the old ones" actually played from!
      Almost all works have one or more parts for Basso Continuo in form
   of
      figured base.
      There are 40+ works that have a BC part labeled Tiorba (or something
      similar), so my guess
      is that this is what "the old pluckers" played from.
      But there are two works that also have lute tablature, an anonymous
      work titled
      "Ach Swea Trohn" and one by Buxtehude "Fuerchtet Euch Nicht".
      Now to the evidence...
      The work "Ach Swea Trohn" was composed for a special occasion (the
      death of a Swedish Queen)
      and is written for soprano, 2 viola d' amore(actually one of the
      earliest pieces specifying that
      instrument) and BC. But there are 4 BC parts(one marked Tiorba) + 2
      (almost identical) lute tablature
      parts for something in d-minor tuning.
      I don't think they wrote out parts just for fun, so I think we can
      assume that the solists
      (soprano + 2 viola d'amore) were "supported by" 6 continuo players
      (including one tiorba and two
      other lute instruments)! We don't hear the very often today.
      The really fun thing is that the whole Dueben collection is being
      scanned and made available
      on-line.  So if you would like to look at the parts for the piece
      above, click at
      [1][1]http://www.musik.uu.se/duben/presentationSource.php?Select_Dnr
   =1705
      and you will get a list of all the parts. From there you can go on
      the individual
      manuscript pages. When you have looked at those you can continue
   with
      the other 30.000 manuscript pages....
      The home page of the Dueben collection is
      [2][2]http://www.musik.uu.se/duben/Duben.php
      and there are search functions for composer, title, scoring....
      If you have comments or questions you can contact me,
      I'm currently working on the implementation of the Dueben collection
      data base.
      Have fun exploring this unique collection!
      Jan Johansson