Dear Peter and all,

Being one of the members of the French list who expressed his disapproval of Mr
Y.'s "approach" , I would simply like to underline that I never said a word
against the idea of using a subscription to help to realize a project, whatever
this project may be : selling cds in advance for a slightluy smaller price
seems a quite normal and acceptable solution. But I feel that asking potential
buyers to pay 100 euros ( ca 150 $) for 1 CD is a bit too much, and that sort
of sponsorship is altogether a quite different business.
True, Mace asked people to subscribe to his book for 12 shillings, if we make a
quick conversion in today's money we get approximately 75 euros (or 112$) - see
http://tinyurl.com/ykkdpds for money conversions - but Musick's Monument was a
sturdy 272 pages book which is still an authority on the question it deals
with, today as in 1676 when it was published. I have already paid that sort of
money and more for long-winded academic works or monumental editions, but for a
compact disc...???
I don't want to diminish Mr Y's - formerly known as Serdoura's - merit but if I
wanted to get that sort of sponsor money for a cd I would NOT advertise that on
the internet, a matter of decency and self respect, I suppose... I have never
heard that any of our "top lutes" had resorted to that stratagem to release a
cd, or have I missed something ?
Just a reminder : French people on the dole, with no regular income, get some
450 euros per month for a living... So I disagree with publicizing that sort of
proposition : 100 for 1 CD...  Where is the "abuse" really ?

All the best,

Jean-Marie Poirier

== En réponse au message du 23-10-2009, 11:49:22 ==