When I started playing a 7 course, I wasted 6 months being unhappy
with the sound and feel of various nylon/nylgut set-ups. Then I got a
set of Larson gut strings and it was like a revelation - everything
started making sense...

Gamut / Larson Workshop website:
http://gamutmusic.com/gamut/strings

(After some experimentation, I've settled on gimped fundamentals on
courses 6 and 7.)

Andrew