Although I'm sure the LSA is a terrific event, and kudos for having
the pros weigh in, their are several events in Europe that are also very good.
Also, some European makers don't ravel to the USA very often.

Of course the best tasting event is is in our music studio, where we
hook up two $3000 mics and go in another room and do a "blind"
tasting of the instruments.
The results are always dramatic and surprising. No matter how
impartial you are, blind testing is the way to go.
And any living room will do, you just need to find the lutes and the mics.
Without going into details, it is pretty safe to say that there are a
lot of good makers and that the setup counts for a lot of the sound quality.

dt