> If we're discussing equal temperament and modern concepts of key
> signatures,
> I can't envision why you'd want to double flat a B in favor of just saying
> "A".

Unfortunately, we have heard from one brass player who has a crook labeled
Bbb, reflecting the actual pitch of nominal Bb in A=415.

I think I am still ok with the single-flat/sharp limitation, as my context
is instrument and notation relevant and not absolute pitch relevant.

What I am doing is a dialog to allow the user of my software to describe
an instrument so the program can do playback.

For plucked instruments I need the open string pitches, which I personally
find easiest to describe as one actual pitch and a set of intervals; all
of that at nominal pitch, ie, what the notation says it is as opposed to
what it actually sounds at. Mapping to actual pitch will be dealt with
separately).
--
Dana Emery