What an odd picure - but where did you come across it?

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:37 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Double headed lute pic?

I came across this image recently - possibly a chap playing a double-headed lute. So (?) Dutch or English? Perhaps it's from a well-known painting? I only had a camera phone and it was shot at an angle to avoid the flash glaring against the glass. I've cropped the writing underneath- but you can't see it clearly anyway - it says something like 'micris' with some kind of diacritical twiddle over the letter c (if it is a c).

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/dhlute.jpg

Stuart