Dear Anthony,

I recommend the close to medium prescription for lute playing and this should differ slightly from a regular reading prescription. When you next go to get glasses tell them you want reading glasses for a specific distance. Measure your eyeball to music stand distance before you go. Have them make their prescription for that distance and dedicate these for your lute playing. A competent optometrist will make two adjustments to your prescription: the focus at that distance and the parallax (the distance from the centers of the lenses changes as you look at close objects to further objects. In other words, as you look at closer objects your eyes "cross" and allowance should be made for this. Of course, the distance decreases for closer objects; at infinity the centers are the same distance as the centers of your pupils. It may seem negligible but can be a source of eye strain and headache if not addressed.)

I don't believe the progressive lenses always take parallax into account though I might be wrong. I've only recently entered the world of Needingglassess but have worked in optics for a few years.

Always the optimist,

Sean