Hello Martin
        I certainly would not say that 3Kg is low (sorry I am lazy and use
   Dan Larson's string calc), but since some others seem to be using over
   3.5Kg (and tell me the perceived tension of my stringing is low), it is
   not that high either (that was all I meant).
   We know that to get the small sound hole sizes for certain bass
   courses, we would have to go down to almost 1Kg (unless we adopt
   Charles Besnainou's half a strand through the hole theory), so of
   course this is all relative, and in those terms, most stringing
   mentionned here is high tension.
         However, differences in tension should perhaps not be considered
   separately from differences in flexibility: a Venice at 3Kg does not
   behave like an HT at 3Kg. The flexibilty factor becomes even more
   evident if you have ever tried one of Charles Besnainou's spring
   strings. Even at what you would call a high tension, with these
   strings, it is the player who determines the moment that the string
   should be released, and not the string's tension. One could decide to
   just continue stretching the string without releasing.
      You should be right in saying "that the difference between 2.8 and
   3Kg is no big deal", except perhaps when we are dealing again with
   flexible loaded strings, with these, 0.2kg can be the crucial
   difference between the string buzzing or not.
   Indeed, that is exactly what happened when I went down from 415HZ to
   407Hz, while most lutenists predicted that I should be able to lower
   them even to 392Hz (they were reasoning in terms of HT strings). Loaded
   strings are sort of like extremely low tension HT strings.
   Now raising the Octave up to the original value of the loaded strings
   (again just a change of 0.2Kg) solved this problem and the buzzing
   stopped. This actually surprised me although that was what I was hoping
   for.
   I don't actually know why this took place. It could be because the
   slightly raised tension of the whole course, changed slightly the angle
   of the neck, or simply because the Venice strings vibrate in the same
   pattern as the Loaded, thus avoiding clashing of the pair, but I don't
   know (I am not the only one to notice this result).
   I mention this also because it means you do need to be absolutely sure
   what diapason you are going to use if you order Loaded Venices, there
   is less margin of error.
   Also with this small swap within .2Kg the whole feel of the course
   changed in terms of what was the leading string of the couple; so
   depending on string types, I think quite small changes can be very
   perceptible in effect.
       When I can resolve all the problems stemming from my computer
   failures, I will try to explain to those of our list who might be
   interested, the essence of what I learnt about Charles Besnainou's
   spring strings.
   Best wishes
   Anthony