They may be alluding to depression.

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Tom Draughon
Sent: 03 December 2009 04:58
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Renaissance Metaphors

A music student at my local college wants me to play lute
for her senior capstone recital, and one of her choices of
song is Dowland's "In Darkness Let Me Dwell".  I have
pondered these words for some years now, and it seems
obvious to me that "The ground, the ground shall sorrow
be..." has multiple connotations - physically ground as in
the foundation of a building, and musically ground as in
variations on a ground.  "The roof despair..." and "...walls
of marble black..." are obvious comparisons to a room or
building, but could they have musical connotations as
well??  Could the roof be the highest note in the range of
the song?  Following this line of thought, what would
"The walls of marble, black" mean?  Am I just pulling this
out of my hat, or did the Elizabethans talk about their
music in terms like these, other than ground?
  BTW, I love Ellen Hargis' recording of this with Jacob
Heringman, lute and Mary Springfels, Viol on "A Candle
In The Dark".  What are some of your favorite recordings
of "Darkness"?
  Thanks,
 Tom
Tom Draughon