I'm a fan of Paul McCreech to - one of the most convincing in this repertoire I think.

Best wishes for the Festive Season.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Andrico" <praelu...@hotmail.com>
To: <guy_m_sm...@comcast.net>; <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 10:38 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: OT: (sorry) serpent/bajon/chant

  Guy, after my admittedly limited experience with the serpent, I'm ready
  to buy that theory!  I have a friend who grows historical roses based
  entirely on her interest in their provenance.  If it's an ungainly
  shrub blooming some lurid shade of puce every six and a half years, and
  produces nothing but thorns, thrips, and blackspot all the rest, but
  it's got a great story, she has to have it.  I felt the same about the
  poor serpent.  Of course it's fascinating, but...
  And Monica, I'd forgotten about that Paul McCreesh recording, but now
  you mention it, I seem to remember our little schola giggling about how
  the Gabrielli Consort - one of our idols - needed to get a fresh pitch
  between every movement...and they probably had time to actually
  practice.  (Yes, of course we understood what they were doing.
  Sometimes sight reading late into the night in an unheated cathedral
  produces giddiness.)
  Okay, I'll leave you all to discuss the lute.
  -Donna