A very Merry Christmas to one and all!
   'Tis the season to be merry, and so I'm getting new strings...and would
   like to run something past this list!
   I'm currently setting up a theorbo that goes down to a low F (i.e. the
   lowest diapason goes down a tone below the "normal" low G) to work at a
   maximum pitch of A=392 - so LOW!  It would seem that the low F course
   would have to be around 1.6mm....and this makes me wonder:  what is the
   thickest gut people on this list may have experience going to/would
   advise using? I've only gone as far as about 1.3mm with plain gut....(I
   realise this is also a question of taste and tolerance.)
   I know I could use Venice, gimped, or perhaps pistoys for such a low
   course too....any thoughts?
   All best holiday wishes,
   Benjamin
   --