Hello Christopher,

   Tye's book sets out the first 14 chapters of the Acts of the Apostles,
   from the New Testament, rewritten in rhyming couplets.  At the head of
   each chapter is a setting for four voices of the first couple of
   verses.  The music looks simple, but has some compositional tricks in
   it: chapter 9 has two voices in canon and chapter 14 has all four.

   The interest for me is not just that this is early in the Protestant
   adventure (though Tye's timing was not that great, since 1553 was the
   year that 'Bloody' Mary came to the throne), but also -

   a) that it's very early in the English lute adventure, at least in
   terms of surviving music

   b) that Tye is one of the great 16th century English composers

   c) that the book was dedicated to Prince (sic) Edward, himself a
   lutenist according to Spring (p. 54).  Tye is bold enough in his
   preface to suggest that the king should play these verses on his lute
   instead of songs of 'wanton love'.

   So it would be great if they were indeed viable lute repertoire.

   Peter