Steve,

yes, it's true, his 6th course is A, and the standard renaissance tuning
in A is, 1st to 6th courses, a' e' b g d A. As I said, this is standard
renaissance tuning in A, not Flat Tuning.

That's what confused me, I think. Wemyss is _not_ renaissance. Wemyss
makes use of three different tunings which slightly differ from each
other.

First, there's the Flat Tuning (f' d' bb g d A).
The second tuning is called Flat Save The 3rd Sharp (f' d' b g d A),
the third is what Chadwick correctly shows, the Sharp Tuning (f#' d' b g
d A).

Straloch requires renissance tuning, Wemyss requires transitional
baroque tunings.

And for the record, what's called Flat Tuning in Balcarres (for the
lion's share of pieces in it) actually is standard D minor tuning.
There are seven pieces in Balcarres, though, that require sharp tuning,
and 2 that require harp tuning (g' d' b g d A).

Mathias

Viele Grüße

Mathias Rösel

http://mathiasroesel.livejournal.com