Springsteen uses a Telecaster, not a Stratocaster. Why Mellisa Etheridge?

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Christopher Stetson
Sent: 08 January 2010 20:58
To: LuteNet list
Subject: [LUTE] Advice for a novelist.

   Hi, everyone,

   I just had a conversation with a writer who is working on a
   fictionalized account of the life of Lady Mary Wroth:
   [1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Mary_Wroth and wants information
   about what her musical life (apparently quite extensive; she played in
   masks at the court of James I) may have been like.  She had the
   engraving pictured at the link as a starting point.

   I tried to give a synopsis of the varieties, tunings, and nomenclature
   (historical and modern) of extended-neck instruments, pointed
   her toward the Roberts Johnson and Dowland (she'd already encountered
   the latter), talked a bit about old and new styles, etc., and sent her
   a couple of youtube links.

   I also offered the opinion that posing with her theorbo(?) implied in
   England at the time (I translate), "I'm hip, I'm serious, and I can
   play with the boys," and likened it to Springsteen with his
   Stratocaster, though perhaps Melissa Etheridge would have been a better
   analogy.

   Anything I missed?  Was I off-base?  What would you tell her?

   Thanks, and enjoy.  I look forward to your responses.  Be aware that
   I'll forward them to her.

   Best, and keep playing,

   Chris.