Dana responded:

   'Not entirely sure it is fair to make a strong distinction between

   'respectable' and 'working', some women were there to pick pocket,
   show-a-leg, or shill for some house in sou'ark; others to see the show
   with friends or family.  Life for a single girl lacking family support
   was
   hard then (as it is now).  Some amount of adult-relations was to be
   expected then (as now); so long as it was done circumspectly it was
   accepted by most (some in the pulpit would have made their moans of

   course).'

   I thought my use of 'working girl' in inverted commas indicated (in a
   slightly tongue-in-cheek manner) that I meant prostitutes? Women have
   always worked, whether what they do is regarded as 'work' or not. In
   this period women's status was in a state of change, reaching a
   highpoint of legal rigidity in the 18th century. But, yes, indeed, at
   this point women's status was generally held to be tied to a male,
   either as daughter, wife, sister etc. a 'femme couvert'. Very rarely a
   woman achieved the legal status of 'femme sole' i.e. entirely
   responsible for herself (a notable example of this was Lady Margaret
   Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, a redoubtable lady in every way). In
   reality, however, there are many instances of women being very involved
   in areas that they were generally barred from, as you pointed out, e.g.
   taking over businesses when husbands died (even instances, I am
   assured, of women claiming a vote on these grounds, not sure if
   successfully). Widows could be high prizes in the marriage stakes if
   they came with money and/or business interests, but were otherwise
   viewed doubtfully as not being sufficiently under suitable male
   control. Useful education was usually denied women, deemed neither
   necessary or desirable. There are always, of course, notable exceptions
   to this generality, women of high rank could receive education but not
   always in useful areas.

   Standards of moral behaviour were as always not quite according to the
   rule, but in general loose sexual behaviour, in women, was not
   acceptable as it also showed some kind of escape from male control.

   As for the audiences in public theatres, all one needed was the price
   of entry, the time and, often, the permission of whoever was in charge
   of you - this applied to plenty of men as well as women.

   And on portraits, Dana:

   'It was not cheap to have your portrait done, and those who could
   afford it
   were likely to be busy people as well, so surrogates were generally
   employed for the bulk of the detailing part.  It was thus useful for an
   artist to have props available, and we sometimes see the same items in
   several portraits.'

   Well, the instrument used as a model might have been a prop kept by the
   artist, but the choice of what items were included your portrait was
   down to the sitter, as this was an indication of how one wished to be
   viewed. So that theorbo must have been part of the image Lady Mary
   wished to promote, whether it was hers or not. And certainly a person
   of wealth or rank (or both) was not required to sit around for hours
   while the artist (in fact a mere craftsman, usually of lower status)
   daubed away.
   Karen
   [1]karen.h...@gmail.com