One could argue that the 13th rule of Le Roy (1568) calls for rest
   strokes. And as it was used in Barley that it remained practice.

   Or I may be mistaken, again :)

   Regards .. mark

     On 19 Jan 2010 11:11, "David Tayler" <[1]vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
     wrote:
     Some teachers teach the rest stroke in the bass for both renaissance
     and baroque. I don't, because it unfortunately affects the wrist and
     then the tone. I've heard some people do it it well, but there is
     often a bump in the sound, and also the technique is prone to timing
     issues. Perhaps that is fixable. You can make a case for a "grazing"
     stroke, however.
     I do teach and rely upon the single graze and double graze for
     chords, and particularly for the earlier repertory. Basically, the
     thumb hits one or two and the first finger hits two, three, or four
     simultaneously. When struck properly, all strings vibrate in a
     plane,
     which I now can test with a high speed camcorder.
     dt

     At 03:34 PM 1/18/2010, you wrote: >Do any early sources describe
     something that could be interpre...