This has been a fascinating thread!  I've enjoyed reading all the
   observations by different players.  I've decided that my time is best
   spent further developing my playing skills before dealing with the
   issue of which strings to try (synthetics came on the instrument and
   I'll just stay with them for now).  I have, however, settled on unison
   tuning  for courses 1 through 6 (of 8).  This may - or may not - have
   some bearing on which strings I ultimately begin to experiment with.

   Thanks for such an interesting discussion.

   Ned