A desperate, short-term, despicable stop-gap measure- like turning
one's socks inside out and wearing them another day- OF COURSE we've
all done that! My six-course lute is giving me the evil eye, buzzing
like crazy on frets three and four, after turning them twice- so I
better get on it and do the right thing.....

And one doesn't always have to change all the frets every time, but
that depends on one's usage. I know a pianist who plays mostly
contemporary and avant-garde music- her tuner says that she is his
only client who wears out the pads and strings evenly across the
whole range...

Dan