Martyn, Sean, and Martin
         &nbs= p;  I have double frets on my 11c lute, and have had them
   for more tha= n a year.
   Stephen Gottlieb mentioned burnishing the first element of th= e double
   fret, so it had presumably been slightly lowered (thus similar to =
   Sean's double single frets?).
   There may have been slight clarity issues,= at first, although I don't
   recall that (well at first there was a slight p= roblem with the
   loaded, until I used higher tension octaves, so that might = have
   hidden such a problem) certainly at present the sound does not show th=
   e "uncleanness" of a worn single, and there is still no sign of wear,
   whats= oever.
   I am sure that would not have been so with single frets.
   = On the other hand the lowest frets do tend to slip, and the two
   elements se= em very thin, so I am not sure that stability is the main
   advantage, althou= gh there has been no tendance for slip on the
   thicker frets.
   Stephen= thought that double frets might give a slightly softer sound
   (perhaps this= is the same as Sean's "absorbs the high frequencies").
   Again I can not say= whether that is so, as I have never used the lute
   with singles.
   All in= all I am very happy with them. It is such a relief just not to
   having to c= hange them so frequently.
   I thank Sean and Martyn for encouraging me at = the time to ask Stephen
   to set my lute up like this.
   It also pleased Ste= phen, I think to do so; although, I don't think it
   was somethingfor which h= e was frequently asked.
   Regards
   Anthony