I don't know about Italian but there is one Spanish late 16th source in which the word 'clabacon' is used to mean 'tuning pegs' of a harp. I suppose 'clabacon' comes from the root word 'clave' meaning 'key' (i.e. same meaning as the Italian 'chiave') or, indeed, 'clavo' = 'nail' whichever is more appropriate.

There is also one more Spanish source (from 1619) in which the same word (this time with a slightly different spelling, as 'clavazon') appears in the description of a vihuela. Its meaning, however, is not exactly clear from the context, partly obscured by the fact that the word 'clabixas' = 'pegs' is also used in the description.

Do you know the exact quote where the word chiave appears?

Alexander

G. D. Rossi wrote:
Dear Collective Wisdom,

Was the word chiave used to mean tuning peg in 18th-century Italian sources?
Were there other meanings/uses?

Grazie mille -

GDR