Thank you for the clarification.

Sean

On Feb 24, 2010, at 4:13 PM, John Griffiths wrote:

 Dear list members,

 the evidence about Palestrina and the lute suggests not that he
composed on the lute, but that he intabulated his new compositions and
 tested them on the lute before releasing them.

The best known reference is a letter from Annibale Capello to Guglielmo
 Gonzaga of 18 October 1578 concerning Palestrina intabulating some of
the movements of his Missa Dominicalis. See Jessie Ann Owens, Composers
 at Work (1997), p. 309

 JG